Lord of the Rings and Hobbit guide
The Magic Guide to Middle Earth
Many people can only dream of visiting Middle-earth, now you can have the chance to experience Tolkien’s imaginary world first hand. New Zealand’s awe inspiring scenery matches the geological setting perfectly - it’s dramatic and diverse scenery was a compelling part of Sir Peter Jackson's reason for using New Zealand as the location for the epic production. The idea of visiting New Zealand is often planted by the Lord of the Rings trilogy and to some people the trip can be considered a pilgrimage. Whatever your level of appreciation, this guide is meant for you/ It takes you to some of the most impressive scenic locations used in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
The Weta Cave
Weta's official mini-museum and exhibition. A wide range of exhibits are available and offer an exclusive insight into the creativity that brought the story to life. You can browse a selection of Lord of the Rings themed sculptures as well collectibles such as jewellry, books and clothing. (read more)
Hobbiton and the shire
Here on the most picturesque private farmland near Matamata in the North Island of New Zealand, you can visit the remnants of the original Hobbiton village set from The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy in a fascinating two-hour guided tour.
Mordor and Mount Doom
Edoras, Plains of Rohan
Mt Sunday (Canterbury)
Isengard, Amon hen and Lothlorien
The Misty Mountains, Isengard and Lothlorien, also better know locally as Skippers Canyon, Macetown and Paradise forest. Just outside Queenstown lies the dart river which served as the set piece for the river Anduin after the fellowship leaves lothlorien. There are numerous ways to explore the area including sky diving, bungy jumping, paragliding, hang gliding, white water rafting, jet boating, and many more.
Other sites of interest:
Taupo Region - Mordor, Emyn Muil
Kapiti Coast - East Road
Upper Hutt - Isengard, Rivendell, Great River Anduin
Wellington - Dimholt Road
Lower Hutt - Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Helms Deep
Nelson - Dimrill Dale
Takaka - Chetwood Forest
Queenstown - Lothlorien
Canterbury - Edoras, Plains of Rohan
Tarras / Wanaka - Golden Plains
Twizel - Pelennor Fields
Te Anau - The Dead Marshes
Lake Pukaki - Rivendell Surrounds
Milford Sound - Nen Hithoel, Amon Hen, Fangorn Forest
Southern Alps - Misty Mountains
Suggested itinerary: Venture through Middle Earth (12 days)
Your Middle Earth Adventure starts here. Combine fun with relaxed travel onboard the Magic Bus with quality ensuite accommodation and activity options.
See the best of NZ and Lord of the Rings & Hobbit film locations at the same time.
Suggested activities include:
Venture through Middle Earth
Prices listed are per person and are in ($NZD).
Please read our terms and conditions.
Auckland - Matamata (Hobbiton) - Rotorua
- Hobbiton Movie Set tour (included).
- Skydiving, Mountain biking, White water rafting & more.
- Maori cultural displays, traditional food and geothermal parks.
Rotorua - Taupo
- Thermal hot pools, Huka Falls Jet, sailing.
- Fishing, kayaking, jet boating, bungy jumping & more.
- Outdoor adventure activities - hiking, skydiving, horse trekking, mountain and sports biking.
Taupo - Waitomo - National Park
- Waitomo Caves - Glowworm Cruise, Abseiling, Black Water Rafting.
- Ski fields and hiking tracks, local stories and volcanic history.
- Explore Mt Ruapehu (Mordor) and Ngaurahoe (Mt Doom) on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
National Park - Wellington
- Te Papa - Museum of New Zealand.
- Visit the Weta Cave.
- Wellington movie sightseeing tour.
Wellington - Nelson
- Interislander Ferry Cruise (included).
- Explore Abel Tasman National Park.
Nelson - Greymouth
- See the "Wild West Coast".
- Punakaiki Pancake Rocks & Coastal sightseeing.
- Monteiths Brewery tour.
Greymouth - Franz Josef
- Ross gold mining town.
- Explore the Franz Josef & Fox Glaciers
- Glacier Hot Pools, West Coast Wildlife Center
Franz Josef - Wanaka
- Lake Mattheson - "The Mirror Lake".
- See the Southern Alps, Haast Pass, Lake Wanaka and Hawea.
- Puzzling World.
Wanaka - Queenstown
- Visit nearby historic Arrowtown and cruise Lake Wakatipu.
- Adventure capital of NZ - Shotover Jet, skydiving, parasailing, snowsports & more.
- Vibrant nightlife - shopping, clubs & restaurants.
- "Trails of Middle Earth" Queenstown location tour (included).
Queenstown - Lake Tekapo
- Aoraki Mount Cook & Southern Alps sightseeing.
- Tranquil Lake Tekapo and the Idyllic Church of the Good Shepherd.
- High country Salmon station & Earth & Sky stargazing observatory.
Lake Tekapo - Christchurch
- Explore Lake Tekapo - hiking, fishing, kayaking, mountain biking & more.
- Edoras sightseeing tour - See Mt Potts movie location and high country station.
- Christchurch sightseeing, Re-Start Mall, rafting, obstacle courses & more.